1. huhtikuuta 2022

Player of April: Maxime Muller

Learning chess moves

This was when I was a kid, around 10 years.

How often do you play chess?

At least once a week, on Wednesday, then at some other opportunities, when there are tournaments. As well I play a little bit online but very fast chess, so not very serious. A few months ago I also used to work a lot with books but lately time has been pretty rare.

Joining a chess club

My first club was in a small village when I was a kid, for a couple of years. Quite good club when I joined, but if I am not mistaking, right now the club is dying. Then for studies I had to move, I was in Grenoble chess club for two years, and when arriving in Finland, I usually go to play some blitz at Lauttasaari on Wednesday.

Achievements in chess

I managed one year (2014 I believe) to qualify for youth French championship, which wasn't easy as there were quite a lot of other people playing. I didn't do that great in the championship, but I was already so happy I could play and gain some important experience and knowledge about the game.

A lucky win

There might have been some more lucky but the last lucky win I recall was actually recently, in a rapid game. I was playing against a guy who had 200 or 300 rating points more than me, but that I had beaten quite convincingly twice, and who was I think scared of me. He ended up having a passed pawn on the board at one square of promotion with both of us with a queen and a rook. As well my king was weak, his king was safe. He chose to repeat the position even though it looked so winning. In addition, he had a simple winning move that would have made me resign if he had played it. But luckily this ended up in a draw.

A bitter loss

This game was played against a Fide master in 2019, right before covid started. At that time I had very little theoretical knowledge of oppenings, particularly against d4 as Black. Right from the beginning I was playing very bad moves, showing that I didn't understand anything about openings, and I went on to lose quickly, crushed, in around 20 moves, within an hour (short for classical game). It is natural to lose against a stronger player, but not like that.

The worst blunder

There is one recently that was really tough for me. This summer I was playing in a tournament in Vandoeuvre, and was at some point facing an opponent who had more than 400 rating points more than me. I fought very hard in a complex and dangerous middle to end up in an endgame with opposite-colored bishops + rooks, where I had 2 pawns and him only one. This was most likely a draw, but at least it wasn't possible to lose that. After around 4 and a half hour of game, I somehow blundered my bishop and the game a few moves later.

A memorable chess experience

Playing twice in online bullet (1'+0" time control) against MVL (who used to be top 1 French player for many years) was quite nice and exciting. I would have preferred slower time control but I was already lucky to play with him.

Chess idols

MVL, Alireza Firouzja and of course Carlsen, but I do appreciate some other players such as Duda or Dubov.

Favorite time control

Obviously this is blitz! 3'+02".

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti