28. toukokuuta 2010

Toukokuun pelaaja: Evgeny Sobenin

Learning chess moves

I learned the moves before going to school, don't remember how old I was exactly. My father taught me, we played a lot with him.

How often do you play chess?

Nowadays I play about 2–3 times a month.

Joining a chess club

I joined our local chess club in St. Petersburg when I was 8. I was going there regularly until I was 17. Then I went to university and thought that I had no time for chess anymore. Did not play a single classic control game between 1994 and 2000.

Achievements in chess

Some years ago in JSM tournament I had to deliver a checkmate with bishop and knight – and I did it!

Here's another story: long time ago, when I was a "category 3" player (it's one of internal titles in Russia, corresponds to Elo 1400–1600), there was a time for me to officially get "category 2". Normally, it would mean a tournament between players of nearly the same strength, and if you score certain amount of points, the title is yours.

But it was very different for me: it was in the summer, we had a training session where most players were of "category 1" (Elo 1800–2000). We had a double round-robin tournament of 6 people, so 10 rounds to play. Classic time control, 5 much stronger players and me. I had to score 2½ points to get my "category 2", which seemed nearly impossible.

As expected, I lost all 5 games in the first round, had almost no chances. But then I somehow won next 2 games and made a draw – and suddenly job was done! :)

Your best game

I hope it's still to come :)

A bitter loss

Can't say. I try to learn something from every defeat, so maybe they are not so "bitter" after that.

The worst blunder

Oh, where do I start? ... I believe, it would be blundering a queen in 1 to Mikko Piippo in Lauttasaari Open Championship.

A memorable chess experience

Once our chess club was visited by Mark Taimanov, he gave us a lecture and played a 20 boards simul.

The most precious scalps

Strongest opponent that I ever defeated so far is Petri Hokkanen (2317) (15 + 15 minutes). He had the upper hand the whole game, but I managed to simplify the position and after that won absolutely even knight endgame.

Opening repertoire

White: d4. Black: Pirc, King's Indian, Caro–Kann.

Playing style

I prefer to play solid, taking no risks. I played a lot of team matches, which might've influenced my style in that direction. My strength is endgame, my main weakness is lack of opening preparation.

Favorite time control

Classic time control. But I play 1-minute and 3-minutes games in the Internet as well.

Motto in chess

"When you see a good move, look for a better one." (Lasker)

Chess idols

I consider most amazing when a good player makes good moves and no mistakes but still his opponent wins the game. Karpov at his best was winning plenty of games like that.

Whose answers would you like to see next?

Timo Joutsivuo.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti